Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gooey Caramel Rolls

Yesterday I finished my wintersession of Sociology and I'm pleased to report I got an A in the class! After spending 3 weeks straight to get through 3 credits, I decided that I needed Caramel Rolls as a treat for doing so well in class and to also make me feel better that Spring Semester starts on Monday.

I used Pioneer Woman's recipe for the dough of the cinnamon rolls because they are so good! But I changed the topping to a caramel pecan. The maple frosting just wasn't my thing and I want my caramel rolls to be super gooey!

I've attempted these rolls multiple times in the past year and haven't been able to get it quite right. Dusty and I like our rolls really big and fluffy, so this time I made the rolls the night before and let them rise all night. When I woke up this morning, they were huge! But oh so perfect!

Here is what you are going to need for 12 HUGE and delicious Caramel Rolls...
For the Dough and Filling:
-2 cups Milk
-1/2 cup Canola Oil
-1/2 cup Sugar
-1 package of Yeast
-4-1/2 cups Flour
-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
-1/2 tsp Baking Soda
-1-1/2 tsp Salt
-1 cup of melted Butter
-1 cup Sugar
-1/8 cup Ground Cinnamon

The Night Before
In a large dutch oven or pot, pour in the milk...
Sorry about the lighting, I started making these at 11:00 last night.

The Canola Oil...

And Sugar.

Stir the mixture to combine and heat it over medium heat, but do not allow the mixture to boil. Once it gets hot, remove the pot from the heat, set aside and allow the mixture to cool to lukewarm.
When the mixture is lukewarm, sprinkle the packet of yeast on top and allow it to sit for 1 minute.

Add in 4 cups of flour and stir until just combined. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and allow it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove the kitchen towel and add the 1/2 cup Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt. Stir the dough thoroughly to combine.

Remove the dough from the dutch oven and roll it out into a large rectangle on a floured surface.

To make the filling, melt 1 cup of butter (yes, you heard me right!) and pour it evenly all over the dough.

I suggest using a basting brush to spread the butter, that way your fingers don't get all greasy and nasty.

Then sprinkle 1 cup of Sugar evenly over the dough...

And the 1/8 cup of Cinnamon.

This next part I always struggle with! Starting at one end and working your way across the rectangle, roll the dough into a log. It's important to make the log tight and secure (this is my problem area). The filling is going to ooze everywhere, but that is what makes it so good! When you reach the end of rolling the log, pinch the seams together.
Boy, this is not pretty! But it is going to taste so good!

Then cut the log into 12 cinnamon rolls, about 1-1/2 inch slices.

Now it is time to make the Caramel Topping!
Here is what you are going to need:
-1/2 cup Butter
-2/3 cup Brown Sugar
-1 tbsp Corn Syrup
-3/4 cup halved Pecans

In a saucepan, melt the 1/2 cup of butter.

Remove the saucepan from heat.

Then add the brown sugar...

And the corn syrup.

Stir the ingredients together until the sugar is no longer grainy.

Pour the sauce on the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish.

Then sprinkle the halved pecans evenly over the sauce.


Place the cinnamon rolls into the pan and cover them with a clean kitchen towel to rise overnight!
(I moved 3 of the rolls into a pie plate because I wanted these rolls to get really big and not be crowded)

The Next Morning
Remove the kitchen towel and stare in awe how big and beautiful the rolls are!

Then preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes or until the rolls are a dark golden brown. Allow the rolls to cool a bit so you can handle the baking dish and invert them onto a lined baking sheet, because the tops of them are on the bottom!

These turned out so beautiful!

So gooey, so yummy!

These rolls are a labor of love, but they are the perfect treat for a weekend breakfast or special occasion!

4 comments:

  1. Love these!! Yum town Haley :) And congrats on the A in Soc. I hope Ben is that lucky, he just turned in his first paper in his class. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley girl - you are killin' me. These look so daggone good!! Way to go. I need to make these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...these look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! Digging the print option :) You rock!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...