Sunday, July 17, 2011

Eye of the Tiger

This morning I had a revelation. I went online to Facebook while I was eating my granola bar for breakfast as usual, and saw a status update that my cousin Brendons wife was participating in a marathon today. At first I thought, "Great for Sherrie! What an accomplishment!" and then I took a shower and a thought clicked in my head....I'm going to do the Billings 2011 Montana Governor’s Cup 10K.

My family members are probably reading this and thinking "WTF??? Haley? Run? HA!" But I've had a secret life goal for the past couple of years that one day I would participate in a marathon someday. I created this goal one night while I was watching The Biggest Loser when the contestants ran a marathon and I was inspired! Since then I've mentioned it in passing to Dusty that someday I'd like to do a marathon, but never put much thought or planning into it. That is, until this morning when I saw Sherrie's status.

For the obvious reasons,  I want to run the 10K as a way to get in shape and lose weight, but I have always believed that to run a marathon would be a huge accomplishment for anyones bucket list. Therefore, I'm going to start with baby-steps and start with a 10K. I don't think I could do 26 miles, even a half-marathon (13 miles) is too much for me as of right now. Maybe within the next decade I will accomplish a full-marathon. But for now, baby steps!

The marathon/10K run is Sunday, September 18th, which gives me exactly 2 months to prepare and train. Luckily for me, 2 months is the perfect amount of time to train for this run according to Hal Higdon's 10K Training for the Novice.

Here is what my next 8 weeks are going to look like and I can't wait!

Week
Mon
Tues
Wed
Thurs
Fri
Sat
Sun
1
Stretch & Strength
2.5 mile Run
30 min Cross Train
2 mile + Strength
Rest
40 min Cross Train
3 mile Run
2
Stretch & Strength
2.5 mile Run
30 min Cross Train
2 mile + Strength
Rest
40 min Cross Train
3.5 mile Run
3
Stretch & Strength
2.5 mile Run
35 min Cross Train
2 mile + Strength
Rest
50 min Cross Train
4 mile Run
4
Stretch & Strength
3 mile Run
35 min Cross Train
2 mile + Strength
Rest
50 min Cross Train
4 mile Run
5
Stretch & Strength
3 mile Run
40 min Cross Train
2 mile + Strength
Rest
60 min Cross Train
4.5 mile Run
6
Stretch & Strength
3 mile Run
40 min Cross Train
2 mile + Strength
Rest
60 min Cross Train
5 mile Run
7
Stretch & Strength
3 mile Run
45 min Cross Train
2 mile + Strength
Rest
60 min Cross Train
5.5 mile Run
8
Stretch & Strength
3 mile Run
30 min Cross Train
2 mile + Strength
Rest
Rest
10 K Race!!!

Have any of you run a marathon or 10K run?
Do you have any tips, tricks, advice?
What foods are best for runners?

I know this is crazy, but I'm so excited to accomplish my goal!

8 comments:

  1. ... DANG, girl!! I mean... DANG!!

    I've gone as far as buy "Running" magazines, and even made it 2 weeks into a "beginners learning to run" from Woman's Health Mag. But not, like, all serious or anything... So hats off to you!! Good luck and keep us up on your progress (keeps you honest ;-))

    You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Beka above would say "For Cereal!!" Way to go, hot stuff!

    Now there is extra motivation for me to get my arse off the couch. Blogging and cooking does nothing for the physique.

    You're totally going to rock this. :D
    *Heart* ~ Your Cheering Section!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in your shoes last year, although it was for a 5K, which I still thought was daunting (not having run since high school track, where 400m was far).
    Make sure that you have your shoes NOW. You do not want to be breaking in new shoes right before your race.
    I have found a lot of help at Runner's World magazine (and the website - they have a great calculator for all your different run types: tempo, easy, etc.). Check it out.
    Also look at what refueling item you think might work. For a 10K, you'll want to use it once about halfway through the race. I love Cliff Shots, but they are hard for me to eat during, so I'm looking into Gu or the Jelly Belly runners' beans.
    The most important thing is to have fun. I have found my "groove" and learned to enjoy myself, even if I have to stop and walk.
    I'll join Megan in your cheering section!
    Allison
    http://decadentphilistines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google Jeff Galloway, I did the same thing you did and finished a marathon. I did the Breast Cancer marathon in Jacksonville Beach. I trained with the Galloway group, he has groups all over the world. With out this method I'm sure I wouldn't have made it. It helps to have a group to do your long runs with. His method is injury free, by doing a run walk run method. You can still run a very fast pace and even qualify for the Boston. I did the entire 26.2 miles by walking a minute then running a minute.
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only done several 10k's, 5k's and a 12 k, so I'm not setting any track records (although my boyfriend is) either. I did start out unable to run a 5k though. Training's pretty personal, but here's what I'd recommend.
    1. Run 3 times a week but make it worth it rather than trying to save energy for cross training. I'm sure the cross training is good for you anyway though and might i recommend yoga? Breathing is useful.
    2. Run intervals - meaning during each run, run really hard, then take it easy (not walking though) on and off for even 30 sec at a time to just make sure you really are pushing yourself rather than just jogging for the full distance (especially for the 2/3 mile runs). This sounds silly but really made a difference.
    3. drink water before and after.
    4. for a 10k, I never used any sort of refuel and eating was the furthest thing from my mind.
    5. take it easier your last week than your schedule suggests.
    6. go to a running store to have someone help you pick out shoes or in the very least, make sure that you are comfortable in them in the store for awhile.
    7. i-pod.
    8. enjoy feeling awesome after each run!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ran my first 5K back in April and I've been hooked ever since. I have so much advice I don't even know where to begin!
    - Make sure you warm up before and cool down after your runs. Your cool down should include at least 20 minutes of stretching - always.
    - Don't feel tied down to your schedule. If something comes up and you have to miss a day or don't have time for a longer workout, you can switch your days around. Just make sure that a long workout is followed by a shorter run or cross train.
    - With that being said, if you're having trouble doing your sat/sun workouts back to back, i would recommend switching your fri/sat workouts.
    - As for best foods, just continue to eat healthy and make sure your eating a lot of protein so your muscles can repair themselves. Also, think about a post-recovery drink. I actually drink chocolate milk - it has the perfect 4:1 carbs:protein ratio that your body needs to repair itself and refuel after a hard workout.

    Good luck and feel free to visit my blog for some cross training ideas and more tips on running!
    - Ali B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the advice on running, it really encouraged me a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you girl! Gosh I have had a goal to just make it to the gym once or twice a week but I have yet to accomplish that... Ooops, there is always next week right? Ha ha :) Good luck I am sure you will do awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...