Monday, January 24, 2011

Portobello Lasagna Rolls

Whenever I think of lasagna, I think of my parents. One of the first dinners my mom made for my dad was her delicious lasagna with garlic bread. He always tells us everytime she makes it that it was the dish that made him fall in love with her. My mom definitely won my dad's heart through his stomach!

I was inspired to make the lasagna rolls this weekend while watching Food Network, the only channel I watch on TV these days! Sandra Lee made interesting cheesy lasagna rolls that I wanted to try. I looked all over the internet to pick and pull different elements of many lasagnas to make my own lasagna rolls!

Here is what you are going to need (4-5 servings):
-10 Lasagna Noodles (cook a couple extra in case they tear while cooking)
-8 oz of Portobello Mushrooms
-1/2 tsp Salt
-4 cups Marinara Sauce (about 2 jars)
-1 (15 oz) container of Ricotta Cheese
-5 oz of chopped Frozen Spinach- thawed and drained
-1 lightly beaten Egg
-1/8 tsp Pepper
-Dash of Nutmeg
-3 oz (2/3 cup) of Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
-1 tbsp Olive Oil

First preheat your oven to 375 degrees and cook your lasagna noodles according to the package directions.

Drain the noodles well and lay them on wax paper or aluminum foil. This prevents the noodles from sticking. Nifty trick I read about! Yes, I said "nifty."

Give the portobello mushrooms a fairly good chop.

Then heat a pan over medium heat with olive oil and saute the mushrooms until they are browned.

Add 1-1/2 cup of Marinara sauce to the mushrooms and let them simmer for 2 minutes.

In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, chopped spinach, pepper, salt and dash of nutmeg.

To construct the lasagna rolls, spread 2 tbsp of ricotta mixture on 2/3 of each lasagna rolls.

Then spread 1-1/2 tbsp of mushroom sauce over the ricotta mixture.

Pour 1 cup of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and roll up the noodles nice and tight.

You are too cute!
When did I reach the point in my life where I think food is cute?!?

Place the lasagna rolls in the baking dish....

And top them with the remaining 1-1/2 cups of marinara and the 2/3 cup of mozzarella cheese.

Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the foil and bake uncovered for 15 minutes so the cheese can melt and get bubbly. Serve each person with 2 rolls (3 rolls if you are really hungry) and enjoy this fun twist on lasagna!

Print Recipe Here!

5 comments:

  1. You are on a roll this week. Another winner! Looks yummmmmy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delish! I love lasagna rolls - they seem easier than lasagna although I have no idea why. The portobello addition is awesome. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow.. this sounds so yummy! lasagnas are always a winner with my family and this would really blow their mind. thanks for sharing this. have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to put the ingredients for this on my shopping list to have for dinner one day next week :) thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just stumbled upon your blog, so cute! I love your step by step instructions, and your photos are great, I will keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...