Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cumin-Spiced Chicken with Chili-Lime Corn

Forgive me if spicy foods aren't your thing. I'm hating the cold and snow right now in Montana and I'm searching for warmth through my food!

I made this for Dusty tonight and it was a big hit!
He especially loved the corn and it's great flavor. Also another low calorie dish!

I adapted this recipe and many others that I will be cooking from the book Fresh Food Fast by Cooking Light. Awesome book for tasty low calorie dishes!

Here is what you are going to need for 2 people:
-2 (4 oz) Chicken Breast
-1/4 + 1/8 tsp Cumin-divided
-1/4 tsp Salt-divided
-1/2 of a 10 oz can of Mild Diced Tomatoes & Green Chiles
-2 tbsp shredded Colby Jack Cheese
-2 ears of shucked Corn
-1 tbsp Butter
-1/4 tsp Chili Powder
-1/4 tsp Lime Zest
-1/8 tsp Pepper
-1 tbsp chopped fresh Cilantro (to garnish)

To make the Cumin-Spiced Chicken:

First preheat the broiler and heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
Flatten out the chicken to 1/4" thickness and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of Cumin (1/8 tsp of Cumin per chicken breast) and 1/8 tsp salt.

Add the chicken to the pan and cook on each sides for 4-6 minutes until chicken is golden brown on each side and done. Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm.

Add the 5 oz of Mild Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles and add 1/8 tsp of Cumin to the pan. Stir to combine the seasoning and cook for 1 minutes.

Add the chicken breasts back to the pan and spoon the tomato mixture evenly over each chicken breast and sprinkle about 1 tbsp of Colby Jack Cheese on top. Place it in the broiler until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Garnish with freshly chopped Cilantro.

To make the Chili-Lime Corn:
First shuck the corn to get rid of all the leaves and stringy things. How annoying?!?

This next part you can not judge me....this is what the cookbook told me to do!
Place the corn into a microwave safe dish and cover it with wax paper. Microwave for 7 minutes until the corn is tender.
This step killed me! I didn't have time to bake the corn or uncover my charcol grill from the snow and heat of the coals. So against my beliefs, I put the corn in the microwave and cooked it. I feel so cheap and tacky! But it worked and Dusty liked it!

In a small dish, melt 1 tbsp spoon of butter.

Then add the lime zest...

Chili Powder....
Plus 1/8 tsp Salt and 1/8 tsp Pepper.

Using my handy dandy baster (from Pier 1)....

Baste the corn with the spicy butter mixture evenly all over the corn.

There you have it! Put the two together and you have a fun and zesty dinner!
So yummy and tasty!!!
Enjoy!
Print Recipe Here!

2 comments:

  1. this sounds great. i love cumin. i have never cooked corn in the microwave, but now i think i might try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks so good and different! I grew up in Montana and now live in Colorado, so I can relate to the cold weather!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...