Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Spicy Lime Shrimp & Bell Pepper Stir Fry

As I have already mentioned in previous posts, I want to find healthier and lighter recipes. College was very harsh to my body and I started out my freshman year a skinny little string bean and now have evolved into a woman with curves. Although I love having curves, I would like them to be toned curves. Therefore, my goal for 2011 is to eat healthier dishes (with one day of naughtiness per week) and go to the gym 4 times a week.

Wish me luck! I'm going to need it!

Tonight I made a surprisingly good dinner with low calories and awesome flavor. Win!

Here is what you are going to need for 2 people:
-3 Bell Peppers (Red, Green & Yellow)
-1 tsp minced Garlic
-1/4 tsp crushed Red Pepper
-1/2 tsp Salt-divided
-2 Green Onions-chopped
-1/2 lb baby Shrimp
-1/2 tsp Chili Powder
-1 tbsp Lime Juice
-1 tbsp Butter
-2 tbsp Olive Oil
-White Rice

First you want to prepare your shrimp. De-vein the shrimp, thaw out the shrimp...do what you gotta do!
You can use any size of shrimp you want too. I got baby shrimp because they were $6.99 for giant bag of them and you can't beat a good sale! Also, by using baby shrimp, you have to take more bites, which tricks your mind that you are eating more than you actually are consuming. I'm tricky like that!

Then you will want to take your Bell Peppers....

And cut them into strips.

Heat your large saucepan over medium heat and pour 1 tbsp of Olive Oil into the pan. Once it gets nice and hot, toss in the sliced Bell Peppers. 
I love the bright colors!

Add in the minced garlic...

Then add the crushed Red Pepper...

Stir the bell peppers around and cook for 4 minutes until they are crispy/tender. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of salt and set them aside.


In another pan, or the same pan, whatever you choose to do (the less dishes to wash, the better!). Add another tbsp of Olive Oil and add the chopped Green Onions. Let them cook for 1 minute and stir frequently.

Add the shrimp to the pan...

And then add the chili powder and stir to combine.
Cook for 2-4 minutes depending on the size of shrimp you use and the "doneness" you want the shrimp. Don't forget to stir frequently!

Once the shrimp is done cooking, remove it from heat and add the lime juice, butter and 1/4 tsp of salt.
Serve with rice and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Mmm...one of my FAVORITE things in the whole wide world is stir fry--especially after the rich foods of the holidays! My boyfriend would die to have this; he can't ever get enough shrimp. Love the beautiful tri-color peppers and step-by-step tutorial. I've never put chili powder in my stir fry, but I just might try it.

    And I think we all wanna be women with toned curves. ;) You're a beautiful lady! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! If there is one thing I love, it is a prawn! And in a stir-fry! My favourite is prawn pad thai! I could eat that every day. I love using different coloured capsicum too! It add so much to the dish, having lots of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love shrimp and peppers. Your dish looks colorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...