Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jalapeno Poppers

Someone very wise on Twitter told me yesterday...."Calories don't count on holidays" (Thank you Surly Kitchen)

So I took this very wise advice, put off my diet another day and made these yesterday!

These Jalapeno Poppers are my absolute favorite recipe from The Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook.
If you have the cookbook, you have seen this recipe and love it too.
If you don't have this cookbook or wondering who the heck this said Pioneer Woman is, then shame on you.
Go to her blog or get her cookbook and discover how fun cooking can be.

Anyways, back to the Jalapeno Poppers.
These little gems are so wonderful. I've only made them a couple of times because they are so special and I never want to get tired of them.
The last time I made these was up at Dusty's grandparents cabin near Glacier Park for the 4th of July. I had the tiniest kitchen to work in and the oldest oven in the history of man, but I made them and they were delicious. Now I have given Dusty's family another reason to love me...I can make good appetizers!

Here is what you are going to need for 18 Jalapeno Poppers:
-9 Jalapenos
-4 oz Cream Cheese
-1/4 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
-1/2 Green Onion-sliced
-9 slices of Bacon-cut into halves
-BBQ Sauce
-18 Toothpicks
-Eye Goggles and/or Gloves

First preheat your oven to 275 degrees.

I highly recommend putting on these good lookin' goggles to protect your eyes.
These were my old Chemistry goggles, but now that I'm done with my degree, they are my kitchen goggles. Dusty thinks I'm a real babe when I put these on! ;)

Now that you are protected, cut the Jalapeno's in half and scrap out the seeds and membranes. When you do this step the juices of the jalapeno squirt up at you, that is why you need to wear something to protect your eyes.

Then in a small bowl combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and green onion. Fill the insides of the jalapenos with this mixture.

Wrap the jalapenos with the bacon slices and secure them with toothpicks. Don't wrap them too tightly because the bacon with shrink when it cooks!

Using a handy dandy basting brush...

Baste the bacon on all sides of the jalapeno popper...don't be afraid to slather it is BBQ sauce!

Then bake them on a baking sheet for 1 hour until the bacon is cooked and sizzling.
Your kitchen is going to smell wonderful!
Serve them on a platter and dig in!

4 comments:

  1. the chemistry googles take me back to college (chem lab and organic chem lab). i love jalapeno poppers, they were my snack before i'd pass out/go to bed in college. also, i want your silicon brush! adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I may need to make these for The Bachelor next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they look yummy! I have the (almost) same pastry brush as you! So useful and better than the old one we had that used to loose its bristles and may or may not have been singed a number of times by a certain someone...(Oops)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poppers are my favorite food ever! Now I want these! :)
    <3DameGoodEats

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...