Monday, June 27, 2011

Yellow Rice Salad with Roasted Peppers and Spicy Black Beans

I have a new favorite cookbook...The Bon Appetite Cookbook!
1,200 recipes of yumminess and I've been excessively drooling over them ever since I bought it on Saturday. I love to read my cookbooks almost like they are novels. Do you ever do that? I just love to read cookbooks!

To really break in this new cookbook I'm making my whole week of dinners from my new book. I think I might even make my cake from this book for my birthday next week too!
Who wouldn't want a Lemon-Blueberry Cake with White Chocolate Frosting for their birthday???
Can my birthday be tomorrow? I don't think I can wait a week to make it!

The first recipe I made for dinner last night was something totally out of my comfort zone. The combination of spices, peppers, beans and rice is so different from what I normally cook, I had to give it a try! I was really worried Dusty wouldn't like it because it does have such unique flavors, but he and I both gobbled it up. I even had some leftovers for lunch today...it was that good!
I think my favorite part of this dish is the vibrant colors!
Absolutely gorgeous!

Here is what you are going to need for 4 servings:
-4 tsp Ground Cumin, divided
-1/4 cup Lime Juice
-2-1/2 tbsp Canola Oil
-1/2 tsp Turmeric
-2 cups Water
-1 cup Long Grain Rice
-1 tsp Kosher Salt
-1/2 cup thinly sliced Green Onions
-1 (15 oz) can of Black Beans, rinsed and drained
-1/2 cup chopped Roasted Red Pepper from a jar
-1/2 cup chopped Green Bell Pepper
-1/3 cup chopped fresh Cilantro
-1-1/2 tsp minced canned Chipotle Chiles

I find it really easy when cooking recipes with a lot of ingredients that require chopping, mincing, measuring, etc. to do the prep work beforehand. It's very convenient and plus it makes you feel like a Food Network Star!


Stir 3 tsp of Cumin in a small dry saucepan over medium heat just until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Remove the saucepan from heat and whisk in the lime juice and canola oil. Set the cumin dressing aside.

Stir the turmeric and remaining 1 tsp cumin in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Add 2 cups of water, 1 cup of rice and 1 tsp of salt; bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool rice.


Once the rice has cooled, mix in the green onions and half of the cumin dressing into the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Ta-Da!
The Yellow Rice Salad is complete!

Now it is time for Part 2...The Roasted Peppers and Spicy Black Beans :)

In a mixing bowl, combine the black beans, roasted red peppers, green peppers, cilantro, chipotle chiles and remaining cumin dressing. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Totally easy and tasty!

For gorgeous presentation when serving this dish, mound the black bean mixture in the center of the platter and surround it with the yellow rice salad. Serve with warm tortillas and drizzle some warmed sour cream.
If any of the dishes in my new book are as good as this one, Dusty and I are in for some really good food! I'll be sharing the recipes that I make for dinner this week, so you will be too!

5 comments:

  1. Is that a heart shaped cast iron dutch oven you have? OMG that's freakin' cute!! And the rice looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, gorgeous photo. this sounds so good, it's going on my to-make soon list.

    btw: love the heart shaped pot, too cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I got my heart shaped Le Creuset for graduation....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read cookbooks like novels, too! I could (er...have) spent hours reading them. You should get Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything-- that will keep you busy for a while! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...I want that pot! :)
    <3DameGoodEats

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...