Friday, June 10, 2011

Introduction to Rhubarb

I've got a little bit of a confession. I have never had Rhubarb ever in my life...until tonight.
Please don't judge me!

Dusty and I went grocery shopping this week to stock up our empty fridge for the new apartment and when we got to the produce section, he grabbed some Rhubarb, bagged it and threw it in the cart.
"Oooh! I love Rhubarb! Will you me something delicious with Rhubarb?"

Ummm, what?

I've had this lifelong phobia of Rhubarb for some reason. My neighbors use to grow it in their beautiful garden when I was growing up and for some reason I always thought that Rhubarb was poisonous or something like that....who knows. I don't know. My brain thinks weird things.

And how did I not know after almost 4 years of dating Dusty that he likes Rhubarb???
Weird.

So now that my fridge has been housing this Rhubarb for the past couple days, I needed to find something to do with it. Luckily for me, Two Peas & Their Pod just posted a recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake, and I had to give it a try.
I trust this blog and their recipes are always good. They weren't going to let me down now!
(I hope)

After making the Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake, I have to say that I am a new fan of Rhubarb and this recipe is absolutely delicious! This dessert takes Strawberry Shortcake to a whole new level with the Rhubarb and Orange Zest in the biscuit.

 I loved it.
Dusty loved it.
I know you will love it!

If you have never tried Rhubarb either and need a great introduction to this interesting ingredient, check out the recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcake.....HERE!

7 comments:

  1. I've never had Rhubarb either!!! I have been seeing so many rhubarb recipes in food blog land lately... and now with your yummy one, I think its time I try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhubarb's leaves are poisonous, but otherwise it is wonderful! If you get it really fresh the stalks can be eaten like celery, but I like it best in a crumble with apples or a pie. Strawberry and Rhubarb salad or compote is really nice on a pavlova too. It works so well in desserts cause of it's nice tart flavour complements the sweet really nicely. Which is good, cause I don't like overly sweet things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to cook it like cranberries and serve it with porkchops:) too,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhubarb scares me too! I've never had it...which is why you never had it...LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you discovered rhubarb - they'll be no stopping you now - isn't it great!! Your recipe looks and sounds delicious!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried it too! Glad it was safe and delicious, you've inspired me to give it a shot! Thanks doll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhubarb scares me too! I made muffins with it this year, but I think the rhubarb wasn't that great. It has been frozen and was soggy. So I still fear it. This looks great though! Love reading your blog - I am now a follower!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...