Friday, April 22, 2016

Breakfast Sausage Loco Moco

Any time it starts snowing or raining, I instantly want to jump on a plane to Hawaii. Snow cones, fresh sushi and pineapple call my name. Then I snap back into reality and remember that I have an 1 year old, and 6 hours straight on a plane with my little guy would be pure torture. Therefore, whenever I'm missing the island sun, I make one of my most favorite Hawaiian meals....the Loco Moco!
 
 
Traditionally a Loco Moco is served with rice, a big ol' beef patty, fried egg and brown gravy. I've even had a different version that included Mahi Mahi fish (delicious!) at Ken's House of Pancakes in Hilo on the Big Island. They even had loco mocos that included spam, sausage links, chili and corned beef. Basically any protein will do! 

When I made my own loco moco, I was feeling more of a breakfast vibe and chose to go with the pork sausage patty for my protein of choice. And a wonderful choice it was!

The best part about this recipe is that it is just about combining a bunch of elements to make one fantastic breakfast rice bowl. Cook the rice. Poach the eggs. Fry up some breakfast sausage patties. Slice the green onions. Top it all off with savory brown gravy and there you have it, the Loco Moco!

Breakfast Sausage Loco Moco
Servings: 4
  • 4 cups White Long Grain Rice, cooked
  • 4 Eggs, poached
  • 8 ounces Pork Breakfast Sausage, formed into 4 (2 ounce) patties and cooked until well done
  • 2 packets of Brown Gravy Mix, prepared according to package directions
  • 3 Green Onions, sliced
  • Dash of Tobasco (optional)
In 4 seperate serving bowls combine all the following components/ingredients:
Place 1 cup of cooked rice in each bowl, topped with 1 breakfast sausage and 1 poached egg. Spoon the desired amount of brown gravy over top and finish with sliced green onions and an optional dash or two of Tabsco. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...