Thursday, August 12, 2010

Huckleberry Crumb Cake with Huckleberry Sauce

Top 5 Reasons Why I Love Montana:

#5...No Traffic or Freeways
#4...Beautiful Weather
#3...Big Open Blue Sky's
#2...Gorgeous Mountains
#1...Huckleberries!!!!

At Farmer's Market last weekend I bought a pound of Huckleberries and I've been holding out for the perfect recipes to use on my precious berries and I found it!!!
Huckleberry Crumb Cake
I got the idea from Pioneer Woman when she made Blueberry Crumb Cake and I wanted to add my Montana twist to it by substituting Blueberries with Huckleberries.YUM!

This is what you need:
-1/2 stick of Butter + 1 Tbsp Butter
-3/4 cup Sugar
-1 Egg
-1/2 tsp Vanilla
-2 cups Flour
-2-1/4 tsp Baking Powder
-1/2 tsp Salt
-3/4 cup Milk
-2 cup Huckleberries

For the Topping:
-3/4 stick Butter
-1/2 cup Sugar
-1/2 tsp Cinnamon
-1/2 cup Flour
-1/4 tsp Salt

Get your oven ready by preheating it to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a seperate bowl, cream 1/2 stick + 1 tbsp butter with sugar. Add egg and vanilla and mix. Add flour mixture and milk alternately and mix after each addition of ingredient. Gently stir in the Huckleberries and start getting excited!

Pour in the batter and start making the Topping...

In a new clean bowl, combine topping ingredients and cut together using a pastry cutter. Sprinkle over the top of the cake.
Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes when the cake starts turning a nice golden brown. After you pull it out of the oven sprinkle the top with sugar.

Now comes the fun part....Huckleberry Syrup!
-1 cup Huckleberries
-1/2 cup Sugar
-4 tbsp Water

Over Medium Heat boil the berries with the sugar and water until it becomes a nice thick wonderful syrup.

Use a strainer to get rid of the unwanted berry gunk.

That's it! Use it with pancakes, waffles or better yet....pour it over your Huckleberry Cake with some Whip Cream!
Enjoy!

*Note: I did not take any of the Montana scenery pictures (gotta love Google Images!)


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh - that looks insanely delicious!! I'm going to the farmers market this morning, maybe I'll find a yummy berry to turn into a crumb cake. Thanks Haley!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...