Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Air Fryer/Baked Tostada Shells


After Charlotte was born and I rejoined Weight Watchers 6 weeks postpartum, I treated myself to an air fryer....and I love it! 

It is such a lifesaver for preparing my toddlers chicken nuggets and other snacks. Baking in the oven requires waiting for the oven to preheat and the bake time, about 20-25 minutes total. In a toddlers world, that is beyond way too long. By the time I am able to get the nuggets to him, he's over it = frustration. Not anymore! Air fryers don't require preheating and cook way faster like a convection oven. You want chicken nuggets Nolan? Boom! Nuggets in 8 minutes!

What I love the most is that they require little to no oil and clean up is super quick and easy. I absolutely hate the smell of oil and mess a regular fryer causes. We own one, but I barely use it due to the mess. I hate it.

I made tostadas for dinner last week and instead of baking the corn tortillas, I put my air fryer to the test. I'm pleased to say it was a success! By the way, please excuse my ugly avocados...I'm just lucky I found ripe avocados! If I were making tostadas for a crowd, I would suggest baking  them because you can only make one shell at a time in the fryer, which takes a while. But for 1-2 people, I say use the fryer all the way! You can't go wrong with either method, check it out.....

Air Fryer Method

Lightly spray both sides of a corn tortilla with cooking spray (butter or EVOO spray). Place your tortilla in the basket of the air fryer and place a small metal baking pan or measuring cup in top of the tortilla to weigh it down, otherwise it will fly around the fryer like a flying saucer and fold up. My air fryer came with a small cake pan accessory that I place on top of  my tortilla. Bake at 370F for 5 minutes. Open the air fryer and flip to the other side. Bake at 370F for additional 4 minutes. Repeat as necessary for how many tostada shells  you need. 

 Baked in Oven Method

Preheat oven to 425F. Brush both sides of corn tortilla with  olive oil (about 1 tablespoon per 2-3 tortillas). Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through until crispy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...