Thursday, March 20, 2014

Cinnamon Sugar Apple Chips

You know how everyone on January 1st is jumping on the healthy lifestyle band wagon, promising to go the gym 7 days a week and only eating all-natural? For the first time in many years I chose not the do this, which is strange for me because usually I'm right there on the elliptical with everyone else.  Most years I'm hitting the gym January thru March and by then I end up back to my old ways of being a couch potato and eating cookies by the dozen.

This year I did something different. I decided to not get skinny and fabulous, but to just take care of myself. Cook from scratch.  Eat healthy snacks. Don't drink soda. Watch my portion sizes. Take my dog for frequent walks.


Instead of going to gym, get a Zumba DVD set and shake it like no one is watching. Thank goodness no one is watching! Their eyes would hurt from my sad uncoordinated dance moves.

 Working in the hospital also inspired me to take care of myself. Being around patients who spent a lifetime abusing their bodies and seeing the outcomes of those actions really opens your eyes. Plus, the amount of snacks in the nurses break room is insane! The temptation is awful!

Since starting my job at the beginning of March, I have been using the app MyFitnessPal and making fun snacks from scratch, like these Cinnamon Sugar Apple Chips. They give me the sweetness and the crunch I need to fulfill my sweet tooth during the work day. Other snacks I've been enjoying include homemade granola bars and peach fruit leathers. Plus you can't go wrong with apples and peanut butter to give you the protein you need to push through a 12 hour shift. So far with the small changes I've made to my daily routine and eating/cooking habits, I'm feeling wonderful and my body is thanking me :)

The great thing about this snack is that it couldn't be easier to make! Just slice a couple apples super thin with either a mandolin or sharp knife...


Sprinkle on a cinnamon-sugar mixture....


And then bake it at 225 degrees (F) for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. 


Pack it in your lunch bag and you are good to go!


Cinnamon Sugar Apple Chips

-2 Golden Delicious or Granny Smith Apples
-1 tablespoon Sugar
-1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 225 degrees (F). Line two large baking sheets with Silpats or Parchment Paper. Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, carefully slice the apples into 1/8 inch slices. Remove the seeds and lay the apple slices on a single layer on the baking sheets. In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and sugar. Evenly sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over one side of the apples slices. Bake in the oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours (depending on your oven), flipping half way through, until the apple slices are dried and just crispy. Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks. Enjoy!

Recipe Inspired by: Bakeaholic Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...