Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Quinoa with Spinach


I made this for lunch today. It was so tasty that I had to jump on my computer before I head to class and my first shift on the Orthopedic floor for my new CNA job! Definitely nervous and excited for today, I hate being the new kid but I can't wait to learn and see so much.

This is a Weight Watchers recipe that I've adapted and it is delicious. Perfect side dish for only 3 points per serving! If you have never had Quinoa before, this is the way to start. The flavors are savory and wonderful :)

Quinoa with Spinach
{4 Servings}
-1-1/2 tsp Olive Oil
-1/2 Yellow Onion, minced
-1 clove of minced Garlic
-1/2 cup uncooked, pre-rinsed Quinoa
-1 cup Fat Free Low Sodium Chicken Broth
-1/8 tsp Pepper
-1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
-2.5 ounces frozen chopped Spinach, thawed and liquid drained
-1/4 tsp Kosher Salt

Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
Add the minced onion and garlic, stir and cook until onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the Quinoa to skillet. Cook while stirring frequently until Quinoa starts to turn golden brown. Then add the chicken broth, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. 

Cover the skillet and simmer for 13-15 minutes.
Waiting is the hardest part!

Stir in the chopped spinach. Cover the skillet and let the rest of liquid get absorbed, about 4 minutes. 
Season the Quinoa with 1/4 tsp salt and serve!

Remember...only 3 points per serving! 

3 comments:

  1. Delicious healthy post - lovely recipe
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bag of quinoa in my kitchen I've been to afraid to use. But with 3 points, that is enough to get me to jump on this bandwagon :) ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing recipe! I made it because it’s so cold and it’s great it really suits the weather. Like the recipes at www.gourmandia.com and www.everythinglemon.com . Those sites are absolutely admirable for their cooking recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...