Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Huckleberry Glazed Chicken Wings


These wings are finger-licking good! 

On Saturday I found a very small bag of huckleberries in my freezer that I've been hoarding for the past 2 years. I decided to make Huckleberry Glazed Chicken Wings for dinner and OH MY GOD WERE THEY GOOD! I could eat at least 100 of these in one sitting.

I kinda have an obsession with wings. I don't know about you, but when I make chicken wings I don't like to fry them, I like to roast them instead. For many reasons including:

1) Healthier
2) Not as messy
3) Easier
4) Just as tasty when roasted
5) What are you suppose to do with all that used oil that has become funky? 

Kind of a waste of oil if you ask me.    



The sauce for these wings was out of this world good! All you need is 1/4 cup of huckleberries for 4 servings of wings, which is not a lot if you are hoarding your berries like me. 

Good news for those of you that don't live in the Northwestern corner of the country where huckleberries grow, you can easily substitute blueberries for the huckleberries! 

True Story: Once I bought huckleberry ice cream and read the ingredients list. It read that blueberry juice and extract were used and not a single huckleberry listed! I felt cheated! But, if I hadn't read the ingredients list, I wouldn't have know because they taste very similar. Huckleberries are just a little more tart than blueberries, and that's about it.

After making these wings I have only 1/4 cup of huckleberries left! 
But it was so so so worth it.
Is it summertime yet? 
I need to go Huckleberry picking again! 

I can't wait to share with you this recipe for Huckleberry Glazed Chicken Wings. I know you are going to love them!


Huckleberry Glazed Chicken Wings
{Serves 4}

-2 lbs of chicken wings, split at the joints and tips removed
-Kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
-Cooking Spray
-1/4 cup Fresh Huckleberries (or Blueberries)
-1/4 cup Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
-2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
-3 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
-1 tbsp Star Fine Foods Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-1/2 tsp minced fresh Garlic
-1/2 tsp Roasted Sesame Seeds (plus more for garnish)
-1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
-1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
-1 Green Onion-sliced

Position the lower oven rack on the bottom third of the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees (F). Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray so the wings don't stick to the surface.

Pat the wings dry and sprinkle them with Kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste. Spread the wings out evenly in the baking dish and bake the wings, flipping them over halfway through, for 40 minutes.

While the wings are baking, combine in a food processor or blender the huckleberries, low-sodium soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, light brown sugar, olive oil, garlic,  roasted sesame seeds, red pepper flakes and ground ginger. Blend until sauce is smooth. Transfer the huckleberry sauce to a small saucepan and simmer on low until slightly reduced. 

Once the wings are done baking, remove the wings from the baking dish and place them in the large bowl with the huckleberry sauce. Toss the wings until fully coated with the sauce and then return the wings to the baking dish to continue baking for 3-5 minutes until glazed.

Plate the wings and garnish them with sesame seeds and green onion.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I made this sauce last night for basting grilled chicken. It was really, really good. I used 1 1/2 cups of blueberries and doubled everything else. Instead of blending, I mashed the blueberries while cooking to give the sauce some body. I really liked that this recipe was not tomato sauce based, like most others. The family loved the results. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...